Sunday, October 12, 2014

Quilts In The Barn 2014



What a beautiful quilt to greet us at Quilts in the Barn this year!! This brilliant version of Homage to Sally-Ann was hand appliqued and machine quilted by Helen Hayes.

Quilts in the Barn is a wonderful 3 day event held every year by Linda Collins and her many helpers who make the day a huge success. All proceeds go to breast cancer research.

I had a day of quilts, friends, meeting new people from here and overseas, and sharing of food, fun and lots of laughter.

Lots of photos following!!!

After a quick tour of the quilts I went to meet one of Linda's international guests and one of my quilting heroes.


Me with Brenda Papadakis, of Dear Jane fame!!

I started my Dear Jane in January 2008, at a time in my life where hand sewing saved my sanity. It was an absolute delight for me to meet Brenda and have a chat with her.

Brenda signed one of my Dear Jane blocks:





I also purchased Brenda's new pattern.



Once around the barn is never enough, so off I went to have a more detailed look at the quilts. :)




Gracedale Doves. Hand appliqued, machine pieced and machine quilted by Louise Lott.
Pattern by Max and Louise Pattern Co.
I love the dove blocks on this one.



Ohio Medallion Quilt by Sharon Duffy, machine quilted by Kaye Brown.
Pattern by Judie Rothermel from her book "Reproduction Quilts From The Civil War Period 1850 - 1863"

A close up of the centre...




This next quilt has some beautiful fabrics...


Churn Dash Fancy. Machine pieced by Linda Collins in 2014. Machine quilted by Katrina Wilson.
The quilt is made from swap blocks from an online group and was inspired by many antique quilts.

I love the reds in the centre of the 2 blocks below.





A small section of a Baltimore quilt.



From Balitimore to Beaumauris - Every Quilt Tells a Story by Lynne Mills.  Needleturn appliqued.

A close up showing a beautiful variety of fabrics.



Zutphen is a large quilt. Hand stitched by Jenny Bear and quilted by Karen Terrens.


Below is the interesting story behind this quilt.



and a some close ups of the blocks. Look at that quilting!





Some hand quilted quilts too!!

New York Beauty.


Made by Judy Newman. Hand quilted by Judy Newman.




Minis by Marion Edwards. Hand quilted by Marion Edwards.

Linda's other international guest is Patty Harrants. Patty is well known for The Wickersham Signature Quilt.


I first saw a photo of this quilt many years ago and I was entranced by it!!! I fell in love with this style of quilt! Unfortunately I couldn't find that photo again, so I couldn't make the quilt. I was very delighted to find out Patty was coming to Quilts in the Barn and that she was responsible for this stunning quilt!!
The original quilt is in The State Museum of Pennsylvania. Patty made exact drawings and notes and all the blocks were made by friends of hers. The quilt was hand quilted by an 87 year old lady in just one month!! Even the quilting is an exact copy of the original.

Patty had discs for sale. She even signed the cover for me!!


The cover block is my favourite block.

Patty also gave me a personal lesson on back basting. I'm eager to give it a try.

Patty and Brenda took classes and gave talks while they were here with Linda.
Patty's class was for this quilt.



Rebecca Kohler Quilt is a crib quilt. The original is also in the collection of the State Museum of Pennsylvania. This quilt was also hand quilted.


Yesterday I met a group of four ladies who are all making Dear Jane together. They have finished al the centre blocks and are working on their triangles. We had a lovely chat while talking with Brenda, then shared a cuppa together.

More friends from yesterday...


Dorothy, Leigh and Anna, all fellow quilters from The Friday Girls at Somerset. Great stitching friends!!!



Unfortunately there wereno signs on the quilts behind us. If anyone knows who made them can you let me know please, so I credit their creators properly.

Edited...The quilt on the left is a pattern by Sandra Boyle. The quilt on the right is Museum Medallion, Pattern by Judy Newman.  (Thank you Susan and Dorothy)Th

Just a little story about the first quilt in this post. I first saw Homage to Sally-Ann hanging in Di Ford's shop, Primarily Patchwork, in 2005 or 2006. I had gone to the shop to learn how to quilt and I was taking a class for a hand sampler with 5 other ladies.  When I saw Homage to Sally-Ann hanging in the shop I fell in love with that quilt. I said to myself, "when I'm good enough" I want to make that quilt!Well, 8 or 9 years later I have bought the pattern, chosen fabrics, changed ny mind on fabrics, chosen more fabrics................and that is as far as I have got!!!
Do you also have a quilt like this, hidden away in a cupboard, waiting for the right time to be made?


16 comments:

  1. I recognise the quilt in the right of your last photo- it is Judy Newman's Museum Medallion. I took a class with her over two years ago and nearly have my hand pieced, hand quilted one finished! I learnt most of my quilting skills from Primarily Patchwork too! Probably back in the late 1990's though! Thanks for the tour- I wished I'd gone.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. From those of us who live too far away......thank you for sharing so many quilts from the exhibition. It looks like it was an amazing and inspiring day. I hope I get to go myself one day. I have started my one day quilt, it's a DJ in reds and creams. It's taken me years to make a start, I hope I have the perseverance to make it to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a lovely time at the show. Those quilts are all very detailed and will have taken many hours to make. They are real beauties, works of art.

    I've admired Kim McLean's quilts for about 2 years now and would like to make one someday. I think you might have made one - I can't remember sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing all the photos - looks like a lovely time you had and for such a good cause as well. Love all the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see all the photos - wonderful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one behind our heads is by Sandra Boyle.
    I found a little piece of that 'red' fabric for you. I'll bring it on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the fun you had at the barn. It would be fun to enjoy the excitement and be surrounded by awesome beautiful quilts. Glad you had a chance to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - thank you so much for sharing your pictures Miriam -- what a wonderful quilt show. I would much rather go to a small show where each quilt is a masterpiece and our enormous shows. I love that Ohio Medallion Quilt (which is no surprise -- it's Judy Rothermel!) and a project like Zufphen looks like it would be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos Miriam, we managed to get there on the Sunday and really enjoyed the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your photos. I was there last year but could not make it this year, so thank you. I have many quilts put away for when I get more time. One is Homage to Sally Anne, along with Phebe, Ann Dags (all patterns by Di Ford) Roseville Album and 3 others by Kim McLean along with a myriad of other "smaller" quilts. All of them are safely packed away in specially bought project boxes, background fabrics bought and other fabrics pulled from my stash. You may notice a theme arising here - they are all hugely labour and time intensive quilts, but as I intend to win the Lotto soon and thus I can retire plus the fact that I am going to live until I am 397 years of age, that is all OK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stunning display of craftsmanship and a day filled with beauty and giving. Lovely, every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie, I think I will need to live to well over 300 to complete all the quilts I would love to make too!!! (You are a no reply commentor, so I can't reply to you via email. If you would like to change so bloggers can reply to your comments there are tutorials on Chookyblue blog or Humble Quilts blog)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Miriam for sharing your photos of the beautiful quilts, very much appreciated as I couldn't make it this year. I'm currently working on my 'one day' quilt, Di Ford's Antique Wedding Sampler which I first saw a few years ago at QITB. All the best for your Homage to Sally-Ann and the Wickersham Signature Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous quilts!! So glad you got to meet and chat with Brenda.
    You are an excellent quilter and seamstress and could make each one of the quilts in the exhibit yourself!!
    Hope all is well with you and your family. I have missed blogging and hope to be more frequent :)
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had a lovely time. I've made quite a few of those quilts so,it is fun to see them in other fabrics. How fun you have signatures to remember the meetings.
    Thanks,for sharing!

    ReplyDelete